The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-2848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Public Service Announcement
WHITEHORSE – With the onset of spring, drivers are reminded to be mindful of all users of our city streets and sidewalks. In particular, drivers should abide by the following:
- Yield to pedestrians crossing at controlled intersections and crosswalks;
- Be vigilant in school zones;
- Do not accelerate on amber lights;
- Maintain a distance of at least 1 metre between vehicles and bicycles;
- Do not use the cycling lane as a turning lane;
- Shoulder check when merging into another lane, making right hand turns and when crossing the cycling lane; and
- Yield to vehicles to the left when entering a roundabout.
In turn, pedestrians and cyclists should adhere to the following:
- Do not ride on sidewalks/crosswalks unless safety concerns dictate otherwise, and never in the downtown core (Between Wood and Elliott Streets, and between Front St. and Fifth Ave);
- Obey vehicle traffic control signals and devices;
- Use hand signals (cyclists);
- Use a bell or verbal signal when passing pedestrians on multi-use trails, and
- Always ride single file.
- Obey pedestrian traffic control signals and devices at all times;
- Be predictable and visible when crossing roadways, and
- Be aware of your surrounding and traffic.
Manager, Strategic Communications
City of Whitehorse