The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-2848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Whitehorse Citizen Survey Results Revealed
Whitehorse – Whitehorse residents gave high marks to the City in areas such as quality of life, customer service and value for city taxes, the 2017 Citizen Survey shows.
“The City of Whitehorse conducts a survey of our community every two years to give us important feedback and help us get a better understanding of our strengths and weaknesses,” said Policy Analyst Edward Duru. “It also helps City Council and employees assess what is working well and identify areas for improvement.”
The Yukon Bureau of Statistics contacted approximately 1,000 random households by telephone between April 19 and May 18.
Among respondents who had had a recent customer service experience, 89 per cent were satisfied with their interaction, up from 87 per cent in 2014.
"We gave residents the chance to be completely frank with us, and we are grateful for their feedback," Mayor Dan Curtis said. “I’m pleased to say that while there are areas for improvement, citizens have again let the City know they feel Whitehorse is a good place to live and do business.”
Highlights of the Citizen Survey include:
- 94 per cent of respondents said Whitehorse is a great place to live;
- 82 per cent of respondents rated Whitehorse as open and welcoming to newcomers;
- 74 per cent of respondents rated Whitehorse as a great place for entertainment, arts, events and fun;
- 89 per cent of respondents said Whitehorse has a great network of multiuse trails;
- 80 per cent of respondents rated Whitehorse as a great place for sports;
- 79 per cent of respondents said they receive at least fair value for city taxes;
- 74 per cent of respondents agree that Whitehorse is a clean city;
- 71 per cent of respondents own their home, while 27 per cent are renters.
The City has conducted the Citizen Survey every two years since 1998. City Council and staff also use the Citizen Survey results in their strategic planning process and policy review initiatives.
For more information, visit whitehorse.ca/citizensurvey
City of Whitehorse