It’s your right to be provided a safe vehicle for hire service!
- A clean vehicle - exterior and interior;
- An odour-free and smoke-free vehicle;
- A neat and clean driver;
- A professional and courteous driver;
- A correct fare and receipt;
- A displayed vehicle for hire driver permit; and
- A trip where the driver does not use obscene, impudent or abusive language, and does not insult any passenger, pedestrian, roadway user or other vehicle operator.
If you feel vulnerable and unsafe, please do not travel alone.
- All taxi vehicles must have a security camera mounted and working in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is in operation; and
- Taxi companies are required to keep camera images for 72 hours, so if an incident happens, please notify authorities right away.
How to report an offence
- If you believe an offence has taken place, call the Trouble Line at 667-2111. To assist Bylaw Services, the following information should be provided:
- Driver’s permit number;
- Vehicle number or description; and
- What happened and where.
- If you feel you have been a victim of assault or observe a criminal offence, contact the RCMP.
If you wish to report a Vehicle for Hire violation please call 667-2111.
The Vehicle for Hire Bylaw regulates the owners and operators of vehicles for hire (taxi cabs) within the City of Whitehorse. The bylaw includes:
- Application of Bylaw
- General Administration
- Vehicle for Hire Permits
- Vehicle for Hire Licence
- Vehicle for Hire Rates and Fares
- Taximeters and Base Stations
- Condition of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- Conditions and Routes for Non-Motorized Vehicles for Hire
- Rules Relating to Inspections of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- Mechanical Inspection of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- General Inspections of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- Notices and Out of Service Orders
- Suspension or Revocation of a Licence or Permit
- Effect and Non-Compliance and Penalities
- Fare Schedule
- Voluntary Fines
The Vehicle for Hire Bylaw is administered and enforced by the Bylaw Services Department.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Vehicle for Hire Bylaw please contact Bylaw Services at (867) 668-8317.