Schwatka Lake Planning Process
The City of Whitehorse is pleased to announce that a policy review process has been initiated for the Schwatka Lake area. The consulting services of Urban Systems Ltd. have been commissioned to deliver a public consultation process that will:
- Assess the regulatory framework for aviation and marine uses on Schwatka Lake;
- Generate recommendations for improved area-management;
- Develop a long term vision for the lake and lands adjacent to the lake’s west shore;
- Explore the potential for expanding aviation and marine uses; and
- Potentially identify new land and recreational uses.
The process will result in an Area Plan for the lake’s west shore and potential revisions to the Schwatka Lake Waterfront Policy.
Public Input Opportunities: Workshops and Surveys
On Tuesday, February 25th, 2014, the City of Whitehorse and Urban Systems Ltd. held a Public and Stakeholder Workshop for the Schwatka Lake Area Plan consultation process. This is was the second of two workshops delivered in the planning process. The event was held at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre and was attended by 34 people. A big thanks to all who participated!
The purpose of the event was to provide an opportunity for aviation, marine, recreation, and other interest groups to discuss recommendations and planning options for the lake’s west shore. The input received will be used to develop the policies and land use concept that will be included in the Area Plan.
The information discussed at the meeting was posted online from February 14th until March 4th. A 5-question online survey was used to collect public comment, which was completed by 29 respondents.
- August/September (2013): Background research and analysis
- October: Stakeholder interviews and online public survey
- November: Workshop for stakeholders, City staff, and interested members of the public to review and discuss alternatives
- January (2014): Develop planning options for Schwatka Lake Area Plan
- February: Public and Stakeholder Meeting to present planning options and online comment period.
- TBA: Draft Area Plan and release for public comment
- TBA: Consideration of Area Plan by City Council for adoption
For inquiries related to the review process contact Erica Beasley, Planner, at 867-668-8600 or email@example.com.