Draft 1: Schwatka Lake Area Plan
The public comment period for Draft 1 of the Schwatka Lake Area Plan closed on September 1, 2014. The planning and consulting team is reviewing the submissions for potential revisions to the Plan.
The Plan focuses on aviation, recreation, environmental protection, and other land uses and activities on the west shore of Schwatka Lake. Recommendations were developed following public consultation that has included two public workshops, two online surveys, and stakeholder interviews.
An informational open house was held for the draft on June 26, 2014 at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre. Comments received at the event are included in the Public Input Summary. A separate summary of the event is available in the Consultation Resources section of this page.
The consulting services of Urban Systems Ltd. were commissioned in July 2013 to deliver a public consultation process that will help to:
- Assess the regulatory framework for aviation and marine uses on Schwatka Lake;
- Generate recommendations for improved area-management;
- Develop a long term vision for the lake and lands adjacent to the lake’s west shore;
- Explore the potential for expanding aviation and marine uses; and
- Potentially identify new land and recreational uses.
- August – September (2013): Background research, case studies, stakeholder interviews
- October: Online Survey #1: Lake Use and Vision
- November 7: Public and Stakeholder Workshop #1: Assets and Challenges
- February (2014): Online Survey #2: Planning Options
- February 25: Public and Stakeholder Workshop #2: Planning Options
- March – May: Develop Draft Area Plan
- May 21: Meeting with Council and Senior Management (CASM) to review Draft Area Plan
- June 6: Release of Draft Area Plan and public comment period
- June 26: Open house
- TBA: Submit Draft Area Plan to Council for consideration and potential adoption
For more information, contact Erica Beasley, Planning & Building Services, at 867-668-8600.