Schwatka Lake Planning Process
The City of Whitehorse is pleased to announce that a policy review process has been initiated for the Schwatka Lake area. The consulting services of Urban Systems Ltd. have been commissioned to deliver a public consultation process that will:
- Assess the regulatory framework for aviation and marine uses on Schwatka Lake;
- Generate recommendations for improved area-management;
- Develop a long term vision for the lake and lands adjacent to the lake’s west shore;
- Explore the potential for expanding aviation and marine uses; and
- Potentially identify new land and recreational uses.
The process will result in an Area Plan for the lake’s west shore and potential revisions to the Schwatka Lake Waterfront Policy.
Public Input Opportunities: Public Meeting and Comment Period
General recommendations and site-specific options have been drafted for improvements to the lake’s west shore. These are based on the results of a public survey completed by over 300 people, stakeholder interviews, and discussions held at a public workshop
with 30 participants in November, 2013. The options are grouped by theme and are not exclusive (i.e. more than one option for each theme, or a combination of option components, could be featured in the final Area Plan).
The City and Urban Systems are interested to know what you think! There are 2 ways to submit input on the information above:
- Fill out the 5-question Online Survey, available until Tuesday, March 4th
- Join us on Tuesday, February 25th for a Public and Stakeholder Meeting from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre (please RSVP)
Public input will help the planning team to refine a final concept that will be included in the Schwatka Lake Area Plan.
- August/September (2013): Background research and analysis
- October: Stakeholder interviews and online public survey
- November: Workshop for stakeholders, City staff, and interested members of the public to review and discuss alternatives
- January (2014): Develop planning options for Schwatka Lake Area Plan
- February: Public and Stakeholder Meeting to present planning options and online comment period.
- March: Draft Area Plan and release for public comment
- April: Consideration of Area Plan by City Council for adoption
For inquiries related to the review process contact Erica Beasley, Planner, at 867-668-8600 or email@example.com.