Draft Schwatka Lake Area Plan, ready for public review!
The Draft Schwatka Lake Area Plan is now available for public input. Residents are encouraged to provide feedback until September 1st. Send comments to email@example.com.
The Plan focusses on aviation, recreation, environmental protection, and other land uses and activities on the west shore of Schwatka Lake. Recommendations have been developed following public consultation that has included two public workshops, two online surveys, and stakeholder interviews.
An informational open house was held on Thursday, June 26th at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre from 6 to 9 pm.
Public input received on the Draft Plan will be considered before the final document is presented to City Council for adoption in the Fall.
The consulting services of Urban Systems Ltd. were commissioned in July 2013 to deliver a public consultation process that will help to:
- Assess the regulatory framework for aviation and marine uses on Schwatka Lake;
- Generate recommendations for improved area-management;
- Develop a long term vision for the lake and lands adjacent to the lake’s west shore;
- Explore the potential for expanding aviation and marine uses; and
- Potentially identify new land and recreational uses.
- August – September (2013): Background research, case studies, stakeholder interviews
- October: Online Survey #1: Lake Use and Vision
- November 7th: Public and Stakeholder Workshop #1: Assets and Challenges
- February (2014): Online Survey #2: Planning Options
- February 25th: Public and Stakeholder Workshop #2: Planning Options
- March – May: Develop Draft Area Plan
- May 21st: Meeting with Council and Senior Management (CASM) to review Draft Area Plan
- June 6th: Release of Draft Area Plan and public comment period
- June 26th: Open house
- Fall: Submit Draft Area Plan to Council for consideration and potential adoption
Consultation Materials and Event Summaries
For more information, contact Erica Beasley, Planner, at 867-668-8600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.