$22-27 / hr
Casual (multiple positions available)
Hours of work are between 5:30am and 10:30pm, Sunday to Monday, based on a 35 hour work week.
The incumbent instructs basic aquatic programs, supervises users, provides emergency care for minor and major first aid situations, provides support to pool administrative and maintenance staff, tests and maintains water quality, and assists with implementation of special events.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Completion of Grade 10
• Previous Experience - 2 months Lifeguard and/or Instructor experience AND the following Current Base Awards:
• NLS (National Lifeguard Service) Pool Option
• Sears “I Can Swim” teacher certification
• Standard First Aid /CPR Level C
• Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS)
• LSI (Lifesaving Society Instructor) Certification
• Aquatic Fitness Certification (CALA, BCRPA or equivalent)
• Teaching and interpersonal skills, safety conscious
Required To Operate Equipment Such As:
First aid equipment, office equipment, computer with applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Class and ERP, audio-visual equipment, basic maintenance tools and water test kits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Monitors pool users and enforces established standards of conduct and decorum, responds to major and minor emergency first aid situations, responds to enquiries from public and follows established safety and emergency procedures.
2. Prepares and implements lesson plans and instructional material, prepares and distributes candidate progress reports, and prepares and submits statistical reports/records. Advises and directs the volunteers assigned to their programs.
3. Performs light custodial maintenance and minor repairs to facility and equipment assisting in the inventory and stocking of custodial, first aid and program supplies.
4. Maintains a clean and orderly workspace in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety standards.
5. Maintains a professional image to the public and ensures all public interactions are conducted in a professional way.
6. Performs water tests.
7. Collects cash from locker rentals and other coin operated machines.
8. Performs basic computer skills required for program registration and entering swim lesson records, and assists with administrative duties such as cash handling and receptionist procedures.
9. Participates in training sessions as part of the Aquatic Training Cycle, in accordance with certification requirements.
10. Under the direction of the Aquatic Coordinator, assists in developing or implementing special programmed aquatic activities and aquatic special events.
11. Acts as Aquatic Team Leader as assigned.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
This is a Salary Range 6 position ($22.95-27.00).
Interested candidates should forward applications/ resumes, clearly outlining how their experience and education meet the position requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org - ongoing competition. Please quote job posting #075-CGC-13.