The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-0515 or email email@example.com
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Winter Holiday Fire Safety
Whitehorse – The Whitehorse Fire Department reminds citizens that winter holidays are a time for greater risk of fire.
Did you know? National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) statistics show that most December home decoration fires are started by candles, and because decorations are placed too closely to another heat source.
Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe season for all of us:
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Make use of battery-powered candles.
- Ensure that all electrically powered lights and devices are certified for use in Canada – look for a nationally recognized testing lab tag or decal (e.g. CSA, ULC, ETL). If there is no tag or decal – do not use.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations as required by laws, codes, or standards.
Check out this video for further Holiday Safety Tips from NFPA: https://youtu.be/-ugeFgJlpi4
Visit https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/fire-department/winter-holiday-safety for more information from the Whitehorse Fire Department.