The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-0515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Sidewalk Café and Pop-up Patio Program
Whitehorse – The City of Whitehorse is excited to announce the official launch of its new Sidewalk Café and Pop-up Patio program.
The program allows restaurants, cafés, and other eating and drinking establishments in the Downtown core to expand capacity by providing outdoor seating on sidewalks, and in some cases, adjacent parking stalls.
The application process is broken down into the following four steps:
- Review our guidelines and determine your eligibility at whitehorse.ca/popup.
- Prepare a site plan and design drawings of the proposed sidewalk café or pop-up patio.
- Complete the development permit application along with supporting documentation, and email it to email@example.com, or drop it off in person with Land and Building Services at 6-151 Industrial Road. Please note, if the plans involve a ramp or decking, then a building permit will be required following approval of the development permit.
- Once your application has been reviewed, we will contact you to discuss if the application will be approved, declined, or if additional information or revisions are required.
This new program is intended to help:
- Mitigate the effects of COVID-19 indoor seating restrictions on restaurants and cafes;
- Support eating and drinking establishments, and local business in general;
- Stimulate vibrancy in the Downtown core; and
- Enhance the pedestrian experience.
Manager, Strategic Communications
City of Whitehorse