Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Media Relations 

The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.

For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-0515 or email 

Facebook googleplus  linkedin  Twitter  YouTube 


You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up

Current and Archived News 

Cold Weather Home Safety

Post Date:12/20/2021 12:06 PM

WHITEHORSE – In anticipation of colder conditions over the coming weeks, Whitehorse Fire and Protective Services is reminding residents about home safety during extreme cold weather.

Please ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are properly functioning, and conduct routine testing.

In the event of a power outage, do not use outdoor barbeques or heating devices inside your home or garage. If you have an emergency gasoline-powered generator, keep it well away from doors and windows to prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home.

Space heaters must be kept at least three-feet away from any combustible material, and always plugged directly into electrical outlets – do not use extension cords. Remember to never leave space heaters unattended or with unsupervised children or pets.

Keep your home safe by having annual inspections of heating appliances prior to the winter season. A woodstove, even if only used for back-up heating, needs an annual inspection by a qualified technician.

Be prepared for emergencies year round – be able to sustain your household for a minimum of 72-hours without power or running water.

For more information on keeping your home safe this winter, please contact Whitehorse Fire and Protective Services at 668-2462.