The City of Whitehorse would like to remind all cyclists of the Bicycle Bylaw requirements. Some of the laws that you’ll need to know are:
- Cyclists and bike trailer passengers must wear a helmet;
- Use the road for transportation, not the sidewalk;
- Equip your bicycle with a head lamp and tail light when riding in the dark;
- Make sure when riding you do not have headphones in both ears;
- Signal by voice, bell or other signalling device before passing pedestrians; and
- Use proper hand signals.
As more and more people are using bicycles as a means of transportation, the City of Whitehorse promotes this healthy and sustainable form of transportation, and strives to be a cycling-friendly community.
- Bicycle Bylaw
- Bicycle Bylaw Pamphlet
- E-Bike Regulation Bylaw
- E-Bike Information
- Yukon Motor Vehicle Act Bicycle Requirements (short summary)
- Full bicycle requirements under the Yukon Motor Vehicle Act (view Part 11,12,13)
- Winter Cycling Pamphlet
- following the rules of the road;
- wearing an approved bicycle helmet;
- not riding bicycles on the sidewalks; and
- riding as near as practicable to the right-hand side of the roadway.
Cyclists, please visit our expansive Cycling web pages here!
School PresentationBylaw Services provides a 45 minute bicycle safety presentation to elementary schools. For more information on this - or to set up a time for a presentation - please contact the Bylaw Services Education Officer, Brian White, at 668-8317 or email@example.com
If an offence is observed please contact the trouble line at 667-2111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.