Fourth Avenue Construction at Main Street
Construction work will take place during non-peak hours at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Main Street starting Saturday, August 24th and ending Monday, August 26th.
The City’s contractor, Balsam Backhoe Services, will be installing shallow utility conduits.
During construction the road will be closed temporarily at separate times on Main Street and on Fourth Avenue. Traffic will be detoured to side streets until the road is opened. Access will be maintained to all businesses and residences during this time.
We thank you for your patience and consideration during the construction period. Definitive work dates are weather dependent.
Second Avenue - Asphalt Overlay
Starting July 28, Skookum Asphalt, the City’s contractor, will be installing conduits at Wood Street and Main Street, and subsequently milling and overlaying Second Avenue from Lowe Street to Ogilvie Street.
Working hours will be from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Work on this project is expected to be completed by mid August.
Roadwork will take place in sections, with the first being from Lowe Street to Main Street. The second section will take place between Main Street and Ogilvie Street. Each section will take approximately 10 days to complete, depending on the weather.
Traffic will be limited to one lane on one side of the road while the other is closed for construction. Businesses will remain open. All emergency vehicles and transit will be given priority access through the work site.
In order to allow for two-way traffic, parking will not be allowed on Second Avenue during the construction period. Please use alternate parking for the duration of the construction.
Please obey traffic controllers and construction signage.
For the proposed extent of work refer to the 2019 Asphalt Overlay Site Plan.
Wheeler Street and 6th Avenue - Landscaping
Landscaping along 6th Avenue and Wheeler Street is planned for the summer of 2019 following the deep utility and surface works reconstruction that took place over the last two years. Various shrubs and trees will be planted in the boulevards similar to the recent work on Ogilvie Street and Black Street.
The work will occur along 6th Avenue between Ogilvie Street and Jarvis Street and on Wheeler Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue. Please slow down and obey construction signage on sidewalks, bike lanes and vehicle lanes.
The scheduled completion date is July 31, 2019.
Quartz Road and Chilkoot Way - Advanced Left Signal
A dedicated Left turn arrow will be added to the northbound traffic on Quartz Road at the intersection with Chilkoot Way.
This project is expected to be completed by September 1st.
Alaska Highway / Range Road opposite Sumanik Drive
This Yukon Government project is expected to be completed by September 30th.
The City has several other projects on the go, which include:
- Watermain improvements at the west end of Porter Creek and on 6th Avenue at Lambert Street;
- Storm sewer upgrades in various neighbourhoods;
- Mount McIntyre stair installation to improve pedestrian connectivity between the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre and the Canada Games Centre;
- Black Street stairs extension to replace a steep portion of the lower paved trail with stairs; and
- Lewes Boulevard asphalt path construction between Hospital Road and Selkirk School
General Advice During Construction Season
- Traffic is to be controlled by traffic control persons and/or detours for the duration of construction projects.
- Graveled surfaces and dusty conditions may be encountered during construction.
- Please drive with care, reduce speed and obey traffic controllers and construction signage as trucks and equipment are in the area.
- All work is dependent on weather and the work schedule is subject to change.
- Hours of work for most projects is from 7 am to 7 pm.
- Thanks for your patience as we work to improve our City’s infrastructure.
For general information please contact the Engineering Services Department at 668-8305.