Second Avenue - Asphalt Overlay
The 2019 Asphalt Overlay Project consists of grinding out 60mm of Asphalt on the existing road and replacing it with 60mm of new asphalt, from Lowe Street to Ogilvie Street on Second Avenue. Permanent Crosswalk Markings will be applied to the new pavement as well as painting the lanes to their former configuration.
Traffic will be limited to a single lane in each direction during construction. Please reduce speed, obey signage and obey traffic control persons during Construction.
Work is expected to take place between July 7th and August 15th.
Wheeler Street and 6th Avenue - Landscaping
Landscaping along 6th Avenue and Wheeler Street is planned for the summer of 2019 following the deep utility and surface works reconstruction that took place over the last two years. Various shrubs and trees will be planted in the boulevards similar to the recent work on Ogilvie Street and Black Street.
The work will occur along 6th Avenue between Ogilvie Street and Jarvis Street and on Wheeler Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue. Please slow down and obey construction signage on sidewalks, bike lanes and vehicle lanes.
The scheduled completion date is July 31, 2019.
Quartz Road and Chilkoot Way - Advanced Left Signal
A dedicated Left turn arrow will be added to the northbound traffic on Quartz Road at the intersection with Chilkoot Way.
This project is expected to be completed by September 1st.
The City has several other projects on the go, which include:
- Watermain improvements at the west end of Porter Creek and on 6th Avenue at Lambert Street;
- Storm sewer upgrades in various neighbourhoods;
- Mount McIntyre stair installation to improve pedestrian connectivity between the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre and the Canada Games Centre;
- Black Street stairs extension to replace a steep portion of the lower paved trail with stairs; and
- Lewes Boulevard asphalt path construction between Hospital Road and Selkirk School
General Advice During Construction Season
- Traffic is to be controlled by traffic control persons and/or detours for the duration of construction projects.
- Graveled surfaces and dusty conditions may be encountered during construction.
- Please drive with care, reduce speed and obey traffic controllers and construction signage as trucks and equipment are in the area.
- All work is dependent on weather and the work schedule is subject to change.
- Hours of work for most projects is from 7 am to 7 pm.
- Thanks for your patience as we work to improve our City’s infrastructure.
For general information please contact the Engineering Services Department at 668-8305.