Selecting and installing your stoveSolid fuel burning appliances installed within the City of Whitehorse must meet the CSA standard for solid fuel burning appliances or the U.S. standard. Click
Harvesting fuel wood
- For Wolf Creek / Mary Lake / Sewage Lagoon / Haeckel Hill / Copper Haul Road, and for quantities larger than 1 cord, please obtain approval directly from Yukon Forestry (Mile 918.07 Alaska Hwy).
- Within City limits, for small quantities (less than 1 cord) such as harvesting blown down trees, please obtain approval from Parks & Community Development using this online form or this PDF form, prior to obtaining a permit from Yukon Forestry (Mile 918.07 Alaska Hwy).
Burning fuel wood
- Only burn dry, seasoned fire wood
- Start fire only with newspaper and kindling
- Wood should be seasoned for 3-12 months (to reach 15% moisture content).
- Dry wood burns more efficiently. Burning green wood is inefficient, leads to incomplete combustion, excessive smoke and creosote build-up.
- Split your wood to expose more surface area and improve drying.
- Stack wood to allow good air circulation.
- Cover your wood to keep it dry.
- It is illegal to burn:
- waste (paper, plastic, cardboard, magazines)
- composite wood (plywood, particle board)
- painted or treated wood
Maintain your stove for your health and safety
- Remove cold ashes frequently. This maintains air circulation around the wood which increases hot burn.
- Ashes removed from a wood burning appliance should be placed directly into a metal receptacle with a tight fitting lid. This receptacle should then be placed out of doors onto a non-combustive surface (concrete or gravel) well away from any combustibles. After a minimum of one week, cold ashes can be bagged and added to your black cart, or saved for your garden.
- Reduce risk of chimney fire by brushing your chimney regularly to clean out creosote.
- Consult a certified WETT technician to inspect and clean your chimney to remove creosote build-up, check dampers and pipe for deterioration or corrosion.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas that is created through burning. If your stove or chimney is not operating properly, carbon monoxide can leave into your home and can be fatal.
Refer to the Yukon government's website on carbon monoxide for more information.
Wood smoke and your health
View the City's new brochure on wood smoke.
Wood smoke can affect human health. Proper burning practices can reduce health risks.
- Wood smoke contains small particles that can cause coughing,headaches and irritation to the throat. Children, elders and people with heart conditions are most susceptible to wood smoke pollutants.
- Some contaminants from burning clean-dry wood can affect your health:
- Small particles can lead to serious respiratory issues.
- Carbon monoxide can cause fatigue, headaches, and nausea and can lead to death.
- Formaldehyde triggers asthma, coughing.
- Hydrocarbons can cause damage to lungs.
- Acrolein can cause eye & respiratory irritation.
- Click here for more information on the health effects of wood smoke.
- Wood smoke should be white or invisible. Grey or black smoke means there is a problem with your fuel, burning practices, stove or chimney.
- NEVER burn glossy paper (magazines, photographs), white office paper, cardboard, plastic, Styrofoam, or aluminum. These produce very toxic smoke, and can damage your stove’s expensive catalytic converter.
A burning permit is required for all open burning, which includes burning within a backyard fire pit. Burning permits are issued by the Whitehorse Fire Department (867) 668-2462.
Click here for information about backyard fire pits.
Check out this publication for more on Yukon's history with wood.