Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Protect yourself and your family from CO

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t smell it and you can’t see it, but it can make you very sick—it can even kill you.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is created when appliances that burn any kind of fuel—oil, gas, wood and kerosene—aren’t ventilated properly. CO build-up happens when a fuel-burning heating appliance has been incorrectly installed, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents to the outdoors are blocked.

Visit Building Safety and Standards for more information about building code and qualified oil-burner mechanics.

Carbon monoxide alarms will alert you to danger and could save your life—and they are required by law. Put an alarm on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area and in each bedroom. Test the battery monthly, change the batteries twice a year and replace the alarms every 10 years.

Learn more about preventing carbon monoxide exposure and how to install CO detectors at

Thanks to Yukon Protective Services Emergency Preparedness for this content. 


Watch this video courtesy of Perth East Fire Department