As a member of the Department, volunteer firefighters are expected to report to regular or special training sessions as often as possible and must meet the department’s minimum attendance requirements of 75% to insure that all firefighters maintain a safe level of training.
Responding to calls
When available, members can be called on to provide the following services to the community:
- Structural Firefighting
- Vehicle Firefighting
- Wildland Firefighting
- Assisting Airport Fire Department with Aircraft Firefighting
- Flammable Liquid and Compressed Gas leaks or fires
- Auto extrication at Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Rescuing entrapped people form: Fire, Collapsed Buildings, Machinery, Confined spaces, Rope rescue and a variety of other situations.
- Assisting Airport Fire Department with Aircraft Crash Rescue
- Assisting Ambulance Service when requested
Hazardous Materials Response:
- Responding to hazardous materials incidents that occur in the city.
Fire Prevention/Public Education:
- Providing fire safety education to the public and operating the Fire Safety House to teach fire safety to schoolchildren. Participating in Fire Prevention Week activities.
- 19 years of age or older
- Must have NFPA Firefighter Level 1&2 or Equivalent
- Must be able to respond to a callout within 15 minutes
- Available to attend training sessions
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Yukon Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Good Driving Record (More than 6 demerits in the last three years is considered excessive. Driver’s Abstract no more than 3 months old must be provided)
- No criminal or summary convictions that would adversely affect public trust
- Good physical and mental health
- Valid Medical Evaluation
- Class 3 Driver’s Licence with Air Brake Endorsement
- First Aid training and experience
- Construction or building experience
- Experience operating heavy equipment or driving commercial vehicles
- Ability to respond during normal business hours.
- Any previous Fire Service experience
Interested? Things to consider before applying