Mobile Food Vendor Program

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Mobile food vending is a great way for people to try out a business idea without making the capital investment of opening a storefront. As a means to encourage and promote the food vending industry in Downtown, the City of Whitehorse and Government of Yukon make public sites available for vending during the summer season. Sites are allocated in the spring via a lottery process.

Getting Started

Mobile food vendors must obtain a business licence. Applications can be printed from the City website or can be obtained at the Land and Building Services office located at Calcite Business Centre, Unit #6 – 151 Industrial Road.

This page is for reference purposes only – complete up-to-date details can be obtained by contacting Planning and Sustainability Services.

Vendors on Public Property

Vendor sites

To encourage and promote mobile food vending Downtown, the City has designated seven sites based on their high profile locations and suitability for food vending. Sites are allocated to vendors on an annual basis. Vendors are not permitted to operate on public property other than a site that has been allocated to them.

The sites are distributed via a lottery process held in the spring of each year. Sites not allocated during the lottery process are available over the counter on a first come, first serve basis.


Application packages for the spring lottery can be obtained by registering through Bonfire on the City’s website. Application closing time and date is 3:00:00 PM Yukon local time on Friday, April 8, 2022.

Applicants should review the Terms of Reference and conduct visits to the sites they are interested in. Vendors must submit a business plan with their application describing their vending apparatus, menu, operations plan, and financial goals.

Site regulations

Specific rules are in place regarding start and end dates, frequency of operation, hours of operation, use of electricity (if available), etc. These rules vary by site and are reviewed annually – up-to-date rules are in the application package.

Required permits

In addition to a business licence, mobile food vendors operating on public property must obtain a development permit for temporary use. The applicant is required to submit proof of insurance in accordance with City policy.

Vendors on Private Property

Vendors not wishing to participate in the allocation process for sites on public property may operate on private property with the consent of the property owner, and with all other applicable approvals, permits, and licences.

Vending on private property is limited to zones in which “eating and drinking establishment” is a permitted use under the City’s Zoning By-law.

Required permits

Mobile food vendors operating on private property must obtain a business licence and a development permit. The application for a permit must include written permission from the property owner to operate on the site.


Fees charged by the City are set out in the Fees and Charges By-law. Current fees are as follow:

  • Business licence (6 months) - $100
  • Development permit - $350

There is no fee to enter the lottery for sites on public property.


All mobile food vendors

  • Register your trade name with the Government of Yukon Corporate Affairs
    (if you are naming the business anything other than your name)
  • Receive approval from Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board
    (if you have employees)
  • Obtain approval from Environmental Health Services
  • Obtain a business licence

Vendors on public property

  • Obtain a Development permit for commercial – temporary; application to include the following:
    • Completed application form
    • Permit fee
    • Proof of liability insurance in accordance with the City's Lease, Encroachment and Property Use Policy (section 4)
    • Proof of third party permitting or licensing, if applicable

Vendors on private property

  • Development permit
  • Written permission from property owner to operate on the site



City of Whitehorse
Planning and Sustainability Services

(for inquiries related to the food vendor lottery process)
4061 Fourth Avenue

City of Whitehorse
Land and Building Services

(for inquires to permits and licences)
Calcite Business Centre
Unity #6 – 151 Industrial Road
867-668-8346, 867-668-8340 or 867-668-8330

City of Whitehorse
Bylaw Services
Public Safety Building
305 Range Road

City of Whitehorse
City Hall
2121 Second Avenue

Government of Yukon
Consumer and Corporate Affairs
307 Black Street

Government of Yukon 
Environmental Health Services

#2 Hospital Road

Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board
401 Strickland