Development Permits and Zoning Regulation

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequent Topics

Development Permit application forms and guides

Hard-surfacing and Landscaping Requirements

Inspection request for Hard-surfacing or Landscaping

Residential Accessory Structures (pdf)

Residential Fences (pdf)

Zoning Bylaw 2012-20 (pdf)

*Please be advised of the following changes to the Development Permit application process (September/October 2021):

  1. All new developments require the main floor elevation to be provided on surveyor’s location certificates.(Applies to development permit applications submitted on or after September 14, 2021.) Click here for more information.

  2. Development Permit application fees must be paid up-front, once your application is accepted as complete. There are also new formulas for calculating securities.

  3. Application forms have been substantially revised. Visit for new and updated application forms.

What is a Development Permit?

A Development Permit authorizes development on land within the City of Whitehorse. “Development” means any new use, change of use, or change of intensity of use on any land within the City.

A Development Permit affirms that the proposed development conforms to the applicable regulations of the Zoning Bylaw. This includes ensuring that the proposed use is permitted in the zone in which the site is located, that the site design incorporates all required elements such as landscaping, access and parking, walkways, waste areas, etc., and that the building(s) conforms to all development regulations such as setbacks, building height, site coverage, etc.

When is a Development Permit required?

A Development Permit is required prior to any development taking place. Development Permits are typically required prior to issuance of a Building Permit or Business Licence.

Exemptions from requiring a Development Permit are described in section 4.2 of the Zoning Bylaw.

How to apply for a Development Permit

Complete applications can be submitted by email, mail or in person. Once the application has been received, a Development Officer will contact you to make arrangements for payment of the application fees.

Follow this link for all application forms, including checklists for a complete application, and example plans.

How to submit by email:

Send complete application by email to

Completed application forms may be scanned and attached to the email.

Supporting documents (plans, etc.) may be attached in PDF format. If too large to attach to an email, a link may be provided to download the documents from a cloud service. Photographs of plans are not accepted.

How to submit by mail or in person:

Application forms and plans may be submitted in person to our office at 6-151 Industrial Road, or by mail to City of Whitehorse, Land & Building Services, 2121 2nd Avenue, Whitehorse YT Y1A 1C2.

One printed set of supporting documents must be included. The Development Officer may require that a digital set of plans in PDF format also be provided.


Can't find what you're looking for? Send us an email at or call 668-8340.