Welcome to Range Point!
The City has officially adopted "Range Point" as the name of the neighbourhood located next to Range Road, east of Mountain View Drive. The name is a combination of Range Road and “The Point”, which was identified as an important landmark during consultation for the Range Road North Neighbourhood Plan. "The Point" refers to the former landfill site at the north end of Range Road, prominent for its beautiful views and recreation potential. Following public events, the City has installed a new Range Point neighbourhood sign and gateway node near the Range Road and Mountain View Drive intersection.
City Council adopted the Range Road North Neighbourhood Plan in July 2014. Beginning in September 2013, the planning process involved public and stakeholder interviews, a neighbourhood walk, a multi-day design workshop, and an open house to present a draft of the Plan. The City extends a big thank you! to everyone who was involved in this process. The contributions of residents, design teams, stakeholders, and other levels of government were instrumental in developing the Plan.
Since the Plan was adopted in 2014, the City has been working on many of its recommendations. This has included:
- Officially renamed the neighbourhood as "Range Point";
- Constructed a new neighbourhood sign and landscaping node;
- Undertook a Trail Plan for the area as part of the Porter Creek/Whistle Bend/Range Point/Takhini trail planning process (adopted in 2017);
- Constructed new artistic themed bus shelters including at Crow Street and the intersection of Range Road and Mountain View Drive; and
- Completed a feasibility study for The Point at the north end of the neighbourhood (completed in 2017). The study recommended that the former landfill site can be developed as a park node. Download the final reports here:
The City continues to work on implementation of the neighbourhood plan. Stay tuned for further updates!
- Map of the planning area
- Process schedule
- Neighbourhood walk notes
- A great neighbourhood has.../ My neighbourhood needs... (Group Exercise)
- This neighbourhood could be named... (Group Exercise)
- WhitehorseWalks - this is a website dedicated to walking advocacy in Whitehorse. Click the link for the organization's input and ideas on this planning process, particularly on walking trails in the Range Road North area.