Photo: Alistair Maitland
A lunch-time information session on the Schwatka Lake float plane base and Area Plan was held on Friday April 26, 2019 at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn, Town Hall Meeting Room. At this meeting, City staff gave a presentation that included:
- An overview of the float plane base and management structure (including dock permitting)
- An update on implementation of the 2015 Schwatka Lake Area Plan
- Float Plane Base – information for itinerant pilots
- Dock Policy and Permits – information for local pilots
Schwatka Lake Area Plan
On March 9, 2015, City Council adopted the Schwatka Lake Area Plan (SLAP) as a guiding document for aviation, recreation, conservation, and other land uses and activities on the west shore of Schwatka Lake. The SLAP provides 37 recommendations for infrastructure and management improvements that were developed through an extensive public engagement process. A Working Group has been organized to help oversee implementation and to discuss emerging topics that affect the lake area. If you would like to participate in this group, send us an email.
Recommendation #30 of the SLAP is to "develop and implement a signage plan". Work has occurred to develop a plan that additionally addresses minor parking improvements identified in SLAP recommendations #16, #17, and #23. A draft of the plan is available for public review:
- (DRAFT) West Shore Signage & Parking Improvements Plan
- Comments can be submitted by email until April 1, 2019.
- Yukon River Loop Trail Brochure
- Enjoying Whitehorse Trails: A guide to the Yukon River Trails
- Yukon River Trail Marathon Map
- Robert Service Way Area Plan
Erica Beasley, Planner, (867) 668-8600, firstname.lastname@example.org