The 2020 Commercial & Industrial Land Study (CILS) is now complete. View the study documents through the links below:
- Summary Report (.5 MB)
- Full Report (includes Summary Report, .5 MB)
- A: Designations, Zoning, and Land Tenure Maps (82 MB)*
- B: Summary Notes - Focus Group Sessions 1 and 2 (.5 MB)
- C: Online Survey Results (.5 MB)
- D: Summary Notes - Focus Group Session 3 (.5 MB)
- E: Cross Jurisdictional Review of Food, Beverage, and Cannabis Zoning Approaches (.5 MB)
- F: Detailed Land Demand Calculations (.5 MB)
- G: Detailed Development Potential Methodology (.5 MB)
- H: Development Potential Maps (43 MB)*
- I: Servicing Preliminary Conceptual Maps (internal)
*Appendices unavailable at this time due to file size; we are working on a solution.
A Summary Power Point Presentation is also available.
In 2018, the City initiated a study of commercial and industrial lands, outside of the downtown core, to help inform the Whitehorse 2040 process for reviewing and updating the 2010 Official Community Plan (OCP). A consulting team led by Groundswell Planning was contracted for the work. The objectives of the CILS are to:
- Assess and determine future demand for commercial and industrial lands; and
- Identify land use and policy options to ensure the supply of commercial and industrial lands can meet future demand and industry needs.
The CILS will help the City to plan land supply strategies for the 2020-2040 time frame.
Public engagement occurred in between fall 2018 and winter 2019, and was focused on property owners and businesses currently operating in the following zones (view map):
- CH-Highway Commercial
- CIM-Mixed-Use Commercial/Industrial
- IS-Service Industrial
- IH-Heavy Industrial
Public input opportunities have included interviews and the following activities:
- Online survey: A survey was available from November 5, 2018 to January 15, 2019. A total of 39 surveys were completed.
- Focus group sessions: three focus group sessions occurred in November 2018, which were open to existing and prospective property owners and businesses. The themes of the sessions were: 'Planning for Highway Commercial and Mixed-Use Commercial/Industrial Lands', 'Planning for Service Industrial Lands', and 'Meeting the Needs of the Food, Beverage, and Cannabis Production Sectors' (in partnership with the City's Local Food & Urban Agriculture Study process). At total of 20 people participated.
- Marwell Plan, 2018
- Whitehorse Commercial and Industrial Land Demand Report, Luigi Zanasi M. A. Economist, 2001
- Official Community Plan, 2010
- Zoning Bylaw, 2012-20
- Industrial Land Study – Phase 1, City of Whitehorse, 2012
- Stevens Quarry Development Plan Update, 2012
- 10 Year Demand Forecast for Commercial and Industrial Land in Whitehorse, Gerein Appraisal & Consulting, 2012
- McLean Lake Quarry Assessment, Inukshuk Planning & Development, 2015
- Resource Development Preparedness Strategy, Jane of All Trades Consulting, 2016
- Downtown Retail and Entertainment Strategy, Jane of All Trades Consulting, 2016
- Utah Area Preliminary Conceptual Planning Study, Inukshuk Planning & Development & Tetra Tech EBA, 2016
- Kwanlin Dün First Nation, Traditional Territory Land Vision, 2017
- Draft Local Food & Urban Agriculture Study, in process