The City of Whitehorse is undertaking a study of commercial and industrial lands, located outside of the downtown core, to help inform the Whitehorse 2040 process for reviewing and updating the Official Community Plan (OCP). A consulting team led by Groundswell Planning is completing this work. The objectives of the Commercial & Industrial Land Study (CILS) are to:
- Assess and determine future demand for commercial and industrial lands; and
- Identify land use and policy options to ensure the supply of commercial and industrial lands can meet future demand and industry needs.
The lands of interest for this study are zoned CH-Highway Commercial, CIM-Mixed-Use Commercial/Industrial, IS-Service Industrial, and IH-Heavy Industrial.
The following engagement opportunities have occurred:
- Online survey: A survey was available from November 5, 2018 to January 15, 2019, which was open to property owners and businesses currently operating in the study's four zones of interest. Thirty-nine surveys were completed. Read what respondents had to say in the summary linked below.
- Focus group sessions: Three focus group sessions occurred in November 2018, which were open to existing and prospective property owners and businesses. The themes of the sessions were: Planning for Highway Commercial and Mixed-Use Commercial/Industrial Lands; Planning for Service Industrial Lands; and Meeting the Needs of the Food, Beverage, and Cannabis Production Sectors. A session on Planning for Heavy Industrial Lands was also scheduled, but was cancelled due to lack of interest. Twenty people participated in the three sessions. Read about the discussions in the links below.
- In-person and phone meetings with project staff: The invitation to meet with project staff is still open. If interested, just send us an email indicating your preferred appointment date and time.
An interagency workshop is being planned for winter 2019 to discuss land use and policy options. A draft of the study is anticipated to be ready in the spring, and will be posted online.
- Marwell Plan, 2018
- Whitehorse Commercial and Industrial Land Demand Report, Luigi Zanasi M. A. Economist, 2001
- Official Community Plan, 2010
- Zoning Bylaw, 2012-20
- Industrial Land Study – Phase 1, City of Whitehorse, 2012
- Stevens Quarry Development Plan Update, 2012
- 10 Year Demand Forecast for Commercial and Industrial Land in Whitehorse, Gerein Appraisal & Consulting, 2012
- McLean Lake Quarry Assessment, Inukshuk Planning & Development, 2015
- Resource Development Preparedness Strategy, Jane of All Trades Consulting, 2016
- Downtown Retail and Entertainment Strategy, Jane of All Trades Consulting, 2016
- Utah Area Preliminary Conceptual Planning Study, Inukshuk Planning & Development & Tetra Tech EBA, 2016
- Kwanlin Dün First Nation, Traditional Territory Land Vision, 2017
- Draft Local Food & Urban Agriculture Strategy, in process