The City of Whitehorse Waste Management Facility is located approximately six kilometers north of downtown Whitehorse at Mile 91972 (Mile 919.72) on the Alaska Highway.
The Waste Management Facility (WMF) includes the landfill, compost facility, and transfer station.
- Weekdays - 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Weekends - 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The Waste Management Facility is closed only Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
The Waste Management Facility offers waste disposal, composting, and recycling opportunities.
Waste is subject to tipping fees. A list of the fees is available for download here. Fees and descriptions are listed in the City of Whitehorse Fees & Charges bylaw.
Controlled Waste - you must sort & separate controlled waste
Certain types of waste are categorized in the Waste Management Bylaw as controlled, which means they must be sorted from your general waste for special handling, composting, or recycling. Unsorted waste will be subject to a higher tipping fee. See the tipping fee list for the fees to dispose of these items.
The materials do not go in regular waste or garbage.
Waste Sorting Categories:
- Cardboard - clean and wax free
- Bulky items such as mattresses, bed springs, all furniture, and wooden fencing
- Clean wood waste, including unpainted pallets and wood without treatment, stain, paint or glue.
- Construction and demolition waste including gyproc, treated wood, planking, siding, plastic, fiberglass fixtures, carpet, underlay, cupboards, counter tops, sinks, toilets, and more.
- Compostables or "Organics" including all food waste, food scraps, food soiled paper, and bones.
- Large Scrap Metal, including filing cabinets, hot water tanks, metal roofing, metal fencing, metal desks and furniture, metal wiring, propane tanks with valves removed, purged fuel tanks cut in half, cleaned and purged barrels with lids removed, sheet iron, vehicle parts without fluids
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners
- White goods: dishwashers, stoves, ovens, laundry machines
- Uncontaminated soil
- Grubbing material
- Manure, kennel material, excreta and fish processing material
- Asbestos, and cold incinerator ash.
- Animal parts and carcasses, but not slaughter waste
- Tires with an inner diameter smaller than 62 cm, removed from rims, may be deposited without charge. Larger tires are subject to a fee.
Banned Waste - not accepted at the Waste Management Facility
Some waste is banned from the landfill. However, some types of banned waste do have local disposal options.
- Electronic and electrical waste, includes corded and cordless items. These items may be recycled for free at the Raven Recycling E-waste Collection Depot. Visit ravenrecycling.org/e-waste for more information
- Hazardous waste. See the Hazardous Waste page for more information.
- Bio-medical waste, including dressings, bandages or other infected material and hypodermic needles.
- Slaughter waste
- Highly combustible and explosive material including ammunition, celluloid cuttings and cellulose film, chemicals, oil or gasoline soaked material, propane tanks with the valve on, unpurged fuel tanks.
- Liquid waste, including sewage or sludge, septic tank pumpings, and sump waste.
- 45 gallon drums not purged or with lids on
- Radioactive waste
- Waste from international air travel
- Contaminated soil
- Incinerator waste that is special waste
Also referred to as organics, these materials may be disposed of for a fee of $50/tonne, $5 per small load, and $3/bag (not more than 20kg).
Recyclables are accepted without a tipping fee. Materials must be clean of food and oil and include:
- Beverage containers (plastic & glass)
- Paper products--clean without food
NEW - beginning December 2019 non-beverage glass (such as jars) will not be accepted for recycling. Please place non-beverage glass in regular garbage.
Waste Events & Programs
Residents can bring household hazardous waste to the Waste Management Facility for free on specific dates. Learn more about Waste Related Events!
Try our online app for help finding local disposal options, to receive residential collection reminders, and more!
- (867) 668 - 1621 during above facility open hours, or
- (867) 668 - 8350 Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- For information on how to increase waste diversion from your business, call the Environmental Coordinator at (867) 689 -5169