Country Residential

What to do with Waste, Organic Waste, and Recyclables:

People living in country residential do not pay utility fees and do not receive water and waste services. Waste, including organics and recycling, can be self-hauled:

Organic waste Waste Management Facility Tipping fees apply
Recyclable materials Raven Recycling or P&M Recycling Depot N/A
Reusable materials (in good working condition) Social media Buy and Sell pages, repair it at the monthly Repair Café, Whitehorse classifieds.
Upcoming Yukonstruct Events
General waste Waste Management Facility Tipping fees apply

Backyard composting is a great way to reduce waste that must be self-hauled, as well as to minimize its smell. However, this practice will significantly increase the likelihood of bears and other animals entering your property in search for food. Please consider a bear-proof backyard composter and make sure to add lots of brown material (like leaves) to food waste to keep smells down and to keep your compost balance healthy. You might also consider using electric fencing to protect your composter, backyard chickens, fruit trees and vegetable gardens. Check out Wildwise Yukon for more information.

Concerned about wildlife accessing waste in your neighbourhood? Read our wildlife section for news and information.

If you choose to not self-haul your waste, you can look into alternative services for waste, cardboard, or other recycling through a private waste hauler.

Note: This list of private waste haulers is not regularly updated by the City of Whitehorse.

Please report illegal dumping to Bylaw Services at 867-667-2111.