Whitehorse – We’d like to remind residents about home safety during extreme cold weather.
Please ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are properly functioning, and conduct routine testing.
Space heaters must be kept at least three-feet away from any combustible material, and always plugged directly into electrical outlets – do not use extension cords. Remember to never leave space heaters unattended or with unsupervised children or pets.
Keep your home safe by having annual inspections of heating appliances prior to the winter season. A woodstove, even if only used for back-up heating, needs an annual inspection by a qualified technician.
In the event of a power outage, do not use outdoor barbeques or heating devices inside your home or garage. If you have an emergency gasoline-powered generator, keep it well away from doors and windows to prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home.
As part of the City’s emergency preparedness plans, the Canada Games Centre will be converted into a warming centre for those without power during periods of prolonged power outages.