Cemeteries & Memorials
Grey Mountain Cemetery is located in Riverdale on Grey Mountain Road and has been in operation since 1965. The cemetery is open year-round for walk in visitors from 8 am to 11 pm daily. From May 1 to September 30, vehicle access is available Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm. From October 1 to April 30, prior arrangements can be made to have the gates opened by calling Parks two business days in advance. Gates will be open from 8 am to 5 pm on November, 10, 11, and December 25.
In preparation for the upcoming winter season, staff will be cleaning up grave sites on September 14, 2022, and removing excessive and/or worn out items. Any items that family may want to keep should be removed before this date.
At the time of interment, flowers and wreaths, adornments, standards, plants, artificial or otherwise may be placed on a plot but may be removed by staff when their condition is deemed to be detrimental to the general appearance of the Cemetery. For the safety of maintenance staff and public, all breakable containers (glass, pottery and plastic) will be removed 30 days after an interment. In addition, ornament removal and disposal will be done bi-annually the first 2 weeks of May and last 2 weeks of September weather depending.
For the sake of environmental responsibility, the City encourages the use of natural flowers to reduce the volume of waste going to the landfill.
The City of Whitehorse is looking to expand the Grey Mountain Cemetery in three areas identified in the previously completed 2008 Cemetery Master Plan:
- a Neotraditional section to offer more traditional cemetery features and park-like amenities.
- a Woodland section to accommodate low-impact burial options in a naturalized forest setting.
- a Gathering area for visitors to enjoy.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill out the survey. Your comments will assist the project team in preparing design options, which will be presented to the public and stakeholders for further comment and input at a later date.
Pioneer Cemetery is located on Sixth Avenue and Wood Street, and was in operation from 1900 to 1965. According to Mrs. Otto Partridge’s diary, the first burial was that of James Brown on October 11, 1900. By 1904 there were 22 burials in the cemetery. The Crown received title to the land in 1901 and the officials of the Territorial Government were in charge of administration. Although the City of Whitehorse was established as a municipality in 1950, the City did not accept responsibility for managing the cemetery until 1965. Unfortunately, no consecutive records of burials were kept, apart from individual churches and the Masonic Lodge. About twenty years ago most of the wooden markers were removed in a misguided cleanup of the area. As a result, there is no complete record of individual gravesites, apart from those with stone monuments. There seemed to be a need for a compilation of as many as possible of the names of those at rest in the cemetery and a book titled “Lost Graves” was compiled.
The book was originally prepared in 1989 as a compilation of research done by Margaret (Peg) Crook and Helen Horback, who were attempting to fill in some of the gaps in the records of the Pioneer Cemetery. Their information was obtained from the records of various churches and fraternal organizations and from newspaper archives. In 1997 J. Scott Wilson provided an index to assist persons using the book while doing genealogical research.