Housing Development Incentives
The City’s Housing Development Incentives Policy is intended to encourage development of smaller, denser housing forms, targeted density, and rental/supportive housing projects. Financial incentives include a reduction in Development Cost Charges and Tax Grants.
Incentives offered by the City of Whitehorse include:
Reduction of DCCs (to $0 – maximum value of $50,000) for residential development:
- in the CN, CNC, or CNC zones;
- outside Downtown or in the RD/CM1 zones that are within 400 m of a neighbourhood facility (schools, commercial areas, rec or health buildings, community gardens, or parks);
- in the RCM zone where 90% of maximum density is achieved.
Reduction of DCCs (to $0) for residential development in the RCM2 zone where density achieved is 50% higher than the minimum requirement.
Further financial incentives are offered for projects undertaken by non-profit and/or non-governmental organizations as follows:
- grant equal to the cost of development fees and/or DCCs (maximum of $20,000);
- deferral of payment on property purchased from the City;
- cash grants for purpose built, subsidized rental or supportive housing projects.
Reduction of DCCs (to $0) and a 10 year Tax Grant (total value of $500,000) for development of one or both of the following:
- a minimum of 4 rental housing units maintained for a minimum of 10 years;
- a minimum of 4 supportive housing units that are owned/operated by a non-profit agency or non-government organization.
General criteria for eligibility:
- Only developments located within the Urban Containment Boundary (see Map 5 of the Official Community Plan) are eligible for an incentive;
- Only the residential portion of a building will receive an incentive;
- Residential units for the Neighbourhood Density, RCM2 Zone, and Non-profit/NGO incentives must be apartment units with 2 or fewer bedrooms;
- Applications will not be processed until a Development Permit is issued.
Note that this overview is for reference only. Applicants should review the City’s Housing Development Incentives Policy in full prior to making an application.
Download a Housing Development Incentive application form (Form 5A) and apply today!