Vehicle for Hire By-law
- A clean vehicle – exterior and interior;
- An odour-free and smoke-free vehicle;
- A neat and clean driver;
- A professional and courteous driver;
- A correct fare and receipt;
- A displayed vehicle for hire driver permit; and
- A trip where the driver does not use obscene, impudent or abusive language, and does not insult any passenger, pedestrian, roadway user or other vehicle operator.
- All taxi vehicles must have a security camera mounted and working in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is in operation; and
- Taxi companies are required to keep camera images for 168 hours, so if an incident happens, please notify authorities right away.
- If you believe an offence has taken place, call the Trouble Line at 667-2111. To assist Bylaw Services, the following information should be provided:
- Driver’s permit number;
- Vehicle number or description; and
- What happened and where.
- If you feel you have been a victim of assault or observe a criminal offence, contact the RCMP.
If you wish to report a Vehicle for Hire violation please call 667-2111.
The Vehicle for Hire By-law regulates the owners and operators of vehicles for hire (taxi cabs) within the City of Whitehorse. The by-law includes:
- Application of Bylaw
- General Administration
- Vehicle for Hire Permits
- Vehicle for Hire Licence
- Vehicle for Hire Rates and Fares
- Taximeters and Base Stations
- Condition of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- Conditions and Routes for Non-Motorized Vehicles for Hire
- Rules Relating to Inspections of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- Mechanical Inspection of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- General Inspections of Motor Vehicles for Hire
- Notices and Out of Service Orders
- Suspension or Revocation of a Licence or Permit
- Effect and Non-Compliance and Penalties
- Fare Schedule
- Voluntary Fines
The Vehicle for Hire By-law is administered and enforced by the Bylaw Services department.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Vehicle for Hire By-law please contact Bylaw Services at 867-668-8317.