Town Square Vendors
The Main Street Town Square (MSTS) pilot is a pedestrian-oriented project in the heart of downtown Whitehorse. A portion of Main Street, between Front Street and Second Avenue will be closed to non-emergency vehicle traffic from June 23 to September 5, 2023 to create a vibrant hub for people to eat, drink, socialize and shop.
Aside from adding picnic tables, benches, food trucks and live music, the addition of pop-up vendors will boost the Town Square’s vibrancy and make it an exciting destination for locals and visitors.
The below application is for both retail businesses and non-profit organizations. There will be up to 20 spots within the Town Square per market. The intake for vendor applications is open from June 9 to June 18, 2023. All vendors are strongly advised to submit their application before the closing date; however, in exceptional circumstances a rolling intake may be considered to fill available spots.
The vendor pop-up schedule for the MSTS has been determined based on survey feedback from vendor businesses and non-profits, and overall staffing and program capacity. Please indicate your preferred time slot(s) on the application form.
Staff will try to coordinate and accommodate vendor preferences, but as there is a limited number of spots available, vendors will be allotted spots through a lottery if the number of applicants for the same time slot exceeds the number of available spots. A virtual lottery will be held on June 19, 2023. The first name to be drawn will be awarded any available spot for the selected time slot. If vendors are not successful in securing a spot, they may be added to a stand-by list, and take the spot in the event that the original vendor can no longer attend a specific time slot.
All vendors must follow these general rules for Mobile Retail Vendors (adopted from the Lease Encroachment and Property Use Policy, 2022):
- This program is limited to vendors offering goods or services that do not include food and/or beverages intended for immediate consumption.
- Vending units shall not block doorways, display windows, or impede pedestrian or vehicular access.
- All accessories, including but not limited to tables, racks, displays and signs, shall be contained within the permit area.
- The vendor area must be kept in a good, neat, and tidy condition at all times. The business holding the permit is responsible for the proper maintenance of all placed structures, including repairs, painting, cleaning and hazard mitigation. No third party signage is permitted, except upon pre-printed umbrellas.
- All signage shall be in compliance with Section 8 of Zoning Bylaw 2012-20, which can be read here.
- Vending units shall be of good quality and aesthetically pleasing in appearance. They shall not have any lights, sounds, or actions, which could be a distraction for motorists and/or pedestrians.
- Vendors are responsible for providing tents, tables, and adequate shelter for their booth. There may be a limited number of tents that the City can provide, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Vendors must stay for the entire duration of their assigned time slot (4 hours). If a vendor can no longer operate at their awarded time slot, they shall notify Economic Development Staff as soon as possible so the spot can be made available to another vendor.
- There shall be no permanent modifications made to the permit area. The City shall repair any damage to the sidewalk or other public structures or infrastructure resulting from the use of the permit area and the vendor will pay all costs of repair.
- A vendor shall not assign or sublease their spot to any other party without the express written consent from the City, whose consent may be arbitrarily and unreasonably withheld. At no time shall the vendor charge or rent their stall to another vendor for a fee.
- Vendors are to arrange their own parking as there is no free parking on-site. Vendors will be able to temporarily enter the Town Square with their vehicles for unloading and set up. Vendor vehicles must enter from the alleyways. Staff will be available to tend the booth while vendors park their vehicles.
- Vendors are responsible for providing their own electricity as the City cannot provide it.
All vendors must have a current business licence. Home-based businesses must also obtain a Home-based business development permit. More information about City of Whitehorse Business Licences can be found here.
Please submit your application(s) to [email protected], or visit the Land and Building Services office located in the Calcite Business Centre at Unit #6 – 151 Industrial Road.
All applicants are required to submit an application package which includes:
- a completed vendor application form
- Proof of relevant licences and permits (i.e. business license, other third-party licenses)
- Photograph of the vending unit
The Deadline for application is June 18 at 3:00 pm Yukon Time. The application must include all of the components listed above.
Once a completed application package has been submitted, applicants will receive an email confirming the receipt of their application within one business day. Staff will then process the applications and distribute vendor sites accordingly. If there are more applicants than spots available for certain time slots, a lottery will be held on June 19, 3:00 pm Yukon Time to award any available spots. Staff will contact each vendor assigned spots to confirm the schedule. The final schedule will be shared with successful applicants on June 21, 2023.
2023 Application for a Main Street Town Square Pop-up Vendor Site
Applications will not be accepted after the Closing Date and Time : June 18, 2023 at 3:00 pm Yukon Time